Six Mushroom Lasagna

Six Mushroom Lasagna

(not a 'recipe', as you will see it is a ‘bit of this’ and a ‘splash of that’, like most of my cooking).

The six mushrooms were Cremini, Portobella, Porcini, Chanterelle, Oyster and Shitake.  I used fresh Cremini and Portabellas and the rest were re-hydrated from dry form.  In a large pot, I sauteed up a large minced shallot along with about two pounds of assorted roughly chopped mushrooms.

A pot full of mushrooms turns into not so many after simmering in a bath of butter, extra virgin olive oil and white wine.  I cooked the mushrooms down quite a bit, added some herbs de Provence, some extra sage (I used dried in this case, but fresh would have been oh so yummy), salt and pepper.  I fed them some some extra wine and a splash of vegetable broth until they looked like they were having just the right amount of fun.

Right before I was ready to build the lasagna, I added about a pint (yikes) of heavy cream and a bit of freshly grated Parmigiana Reggiano.  I put together the lasagna using layers of nice flat lasagna sheets (dry, but softened in water for about 30 minutes… I never precook my lasagna noodles), the mushroom cream, shredded mozza and more Parm, as well as a layer of Ricotta, which I had mixed with a beaten egg, Parm, and some grated Nutmeg.